Thursday, November 14, 2013

Week 10: Reproducing and Resisting Stereotypes

Week ten's lectures and presentations focused on stereotypes and traditional gender norms. I found this topic particularly interesting because it is an issue I understand; yet do not know how to fix. With that being said, I am undecided at this time if gender stereotypes can in fact be abolished altogether.

After thinking critically about the issue of gender stereotypes, I personally tend to reproduce them more than I resist them. The main reason why this is true is because I am a stereotypical "girly girl." My favourite colours are pink and purple, I wear make-up everyday, I always have nail polish on, and I am concerned about my appearance on a daily basis. In addition, I enjoy cooking and cleaning, avoid bugs of all kinds and hate to get dirty.

While growing up I participated in a variety of athletics, but each one was cut short when the novelty wore off. Since I was a toddler, I have done ballet, gymnastics, swimming, figure skating, dance, and soccer. Gender norms are prevalent in sports, which is fascinating because there are often a men and women's league in many of the sports in today's society. With that, it is interesting to note that there are many professional male figure skaters in today's society, which is actually great to watch if the opportunity ever arrises. Men and women that are in opposite sport categories reminds me of the gender stereotypes that often take place in classrooms. If a little boy is interested in showing care for a doll, and a young girl is fascinated by trucks or dinosaurs, why does it matter which toy entertains them? Why does each kind of toy that is invented have to be catered to a specific gender of the childhood population?

The first group that presented on Tuesday asked the class if we thought a gender divide with tools and household repairs still existed. The question was answered in a variety of ways, as many students did not grow up in the traditional nuclear household that used to be considered the norm. Some students were raised by either their mom or dad in a single-parent household, while other individuals were raised by both parents or even their grandparents. In my family, we reproduce many gender stereotypes. My dad is often in charge of the mechanics, yard work, using heavy machinery, and cooking; while my mom has taken on the role of house cleaning, dusting, dishes, and caring for my brother and I. While my parents share some household duties, they typically divide the workload into "pink jobs" and "blue jobs." Although this is not a term we use in my house, there just happens to be some jobs that my dad can do better and other tasks that my mom is more efficient at.

When discussing the issue of gender stereotypes, one of the biggest areas of concern is the problem of gender-oriented professions. Basically, this means that often in society, the majority of individuals (for whatever reason) feel the need to assign an occupation to a group such as for males, for females, or appropriate for both sexes. I think this is problematic because it's ridiculous to divvy up all the careers in the world and expect everyone to choose the path that's designed for them based on their gender. If a male is a highly educated, nurturing individual, that enjoys helping people, then why can't be become a nurse or a teacher? And, if a woman is interested in architecture or working with large machinery, why can't she become a construction worker? The only way society will become a more accepting place, is if individuals mind their own business and let others pursue what interests them regardless of their sex. It shouldn't matter what gender people identify with because this does not change who a person is, except for the fact they are seen as a deviant for being different.

No comments:

Post a Comment